PUBLIC PROPERTY

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Hips don’t lie!

I found myself getting morose by every passing day as my tummy grew bigger and bigger. Being a rice lover, I couldn’t control my diet however I started jogging. I thought that even this did not work out for me.

If you can’t beat them, join them. So I thought if I can’t reduce it let me bring it to the best use by learning belly dancing.  I joined these classes once a week every Tuesday.
It was my first day of the class, I expected a lot of girls would be joining. When students started pouring in, I saw that not even one was of my age. They were all older women having belly size triple than I had.I thought , so many of them came to embrace and turn their embarrassing belly into a talent. I was happy. The more the belly the better I thought.

The instructor introduced herself. She was a professional belly dancer with a perfect body. Surprisingly I observed that she did not have any belly. In fact her stomach did not have any piece of fat on it. It was totally flat. I kept my energy up by looking at other participants and  then the music started.


She shouted: Step step step , shimmy shimmy shimmy. Relax your hips,shimmy shimmy shimmy.
I followed her, we all did religiously. I started shimmy on my hips. I saw myself in the mirror, that part of stomach where my lower belly was hanging was moving in a vibration. I tried to shimmy my hips again and again the belly moved left and right, making me more upset. I cursed myself for joining the classes. I was determined to reduce it so I started shimmy and hips moved ding dong ding dong left and right. I looked at other fellow students, their belly also did move and all of ours belly moved except for the instructor’s.  My heart sank  and my hips teased me saying we aren’t shimmying your belly is the one which is moving you idiot.

She put her arms outwards and said now move like a butterfly. She did move like a butterfly in a circle and we all were lost like a crippled beggar reaching out to grab somebody.

Lesson Learnt:  Though I did not remember any moves after the class, one thing I learnt was belly dancing is not about moving the belly, it’s about moving the hips. And if you are not shimmying your hips, listen to your hips because they don’t lie.

 While I waited for my cab to pick me up, I saw that there was another dance class going on in the opposite room. It was filled with girls of my age, however I couldn’t make what kind of dance form they were doing. I asked the person standing near the door of that class. Can you tell me what dance form is it I asked?
 Contemporary, he said!

I stared at the room and my eyes twinkled! J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home