PUBLIC PROPERTY

Monday, July 25, 2016

Moves like Jagger!

It was 2nd day of my dance class and I felt a little confident that today I am going to give my 100% and remember all the moves by end of the class.

I managed to reach the class on time. When I was coming to U.S , I always thought I would make lots of foreign friends, so I saw this American fellow student of mine who was much older than me and approached her to start a new saga of friendship. I smiled at her, she returned the smile.

So how was your weekdays, I asked. (Hitting myself 10 times in my mind I thought: Errr…weekdays really what was I thinking, maybe I had a starting problem)

She replied anyways saying , ‘Oh it was very bad’.

Ok! So don’t people say  ‘ya it was good’ . It would have made my life so much easier if she had replied this way. Now I was thinking hard what was I supposed to tell her. Thankfully she herself prolonged the conversation by asking how was yours?

(Easy question! I shouted in my   mind with joy J ) It was  very busy I said. And then the silence prevailed. I remembered suddenly what I wanted to say to my fellow students if I ever get a chance to talk to them, so I said well I don’t remember anything that I learnt on first day.

Don’t worry you will get a hang of it, She said.

I thank all my gods that we finally reached the dance room .Phew! I could finally stop to fake that smile in front of her. 

The beautiful instructor started the music. We all took our positions and were ready to rock n roll , err I mean shimmy and shimmy. I was trying to recollect all that I could remember of first day class. As I was about to start the step, she did a full split on the floor, her both legs touched the floor with ease and asked us to follow her.

What? A full split no ways , how can she change the warm up routine. This is not fair. Why all of a sudden the full split. All these thoughts suddenly started running in my  mind for a sudden realization that I got ready in a hurry today. Which meant I wore my old tights and a long top on it, which meant I wasn’t sure if there was any wear and tear in my tights. I had no choice but to follow her. Slowly I started  to get into the full split position looking myself into the mirror and praying. She looked at me too ,not to look at my tear but to look at how I was doing it. I kept looking in the mirror until both my legs were 180 degrees to each other and bingo, there was no wear and tear. I cried happy tears inside and once again with full confidence I was watching every move closely.

C’mon give it to me baby ! Show me the moves my mind shouted with energy. And what she did next , I can never ever imagine that a normal human can really possibly do that or even could think of doing it. The music was still on and she shouted left, left, left, left, right, right, right, right, left right , left right. I was agape and kept staring at what she was moving with so much ease. I looked at the others, nothing in their body seemed to have moved till now. I felt normal. I looked at my instructor again they were still moving. When she said ‘left’ nothing in her body moved except for her left hip muscle, when she said ‘right’ only her right hip muscle moved. And I mean it when I say ONLY HIP AND NOTHING ELSE MOVED.

She was dancing only with her hips. With real determination I decided that I will make my hip muscle move. I tried hard in that full split position I could hardly breathe properly but I kept trying. My hips started talking to me and were shouting at me saying : ‘Idiot how can we move when you are sitting on us’.

After too much of ado my right hip muscle moved and along with it my hip moved upward and along with that moved my knee and right leg upwards. The posture looked more like I was trying to fart. I looked into the mirror had a heartful laugh and later felt embarrassed and stopped moving anything at all. After the class was over I was still shocked of how can somebody even possibly do it. I reached home and kept thinking if I will ever master or even become a beginner in this dance form. Meanwhile my roomie who had no idea what dance form I was learning asked me: how come you never practice your moves after coming home? I think of excuses and reasons to give her and then I laugh at myself and said, I don’t remember the moves.
  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home